10 Tips to Eliminate Stress from your next Site Visit
Site visits by prospective donors can be stressful. Here are 10 tips to make your next site visit successful.
- Before the visit, ask the visitors if they have special areas of interest or questions they wish to be addressed.
- Schedule the visit at your agency’s best time of day — a time when there are programmatic things happening that you know will interest the prospective donor.
- Be sure to inform staff and volunteers that a prospective donor will be visiting.
- Offer a tour at the beginning of the visit. (Make sure that the facility is clean and neat.)
- Involve a member of your board of directors in the site visit. Also include staff, volunteers and those you serve in the site visit, as appropriate. Brief each in advance.
- Review your proposal carefully in advance of the visit and share a copy with others who will have significant roles in the visit.
- Provide updated information.
- Tell stories to make your case.
- Be prepared for hard questions, but remember that it’s okay to get back to the visitors with answers quickly if you need to gather information.
- Ask a few strategic questions of your own.